Private medical cover for your household staff
One of the most exciting things announced at Discovery’s 2020 Product update event was their new Primary Care medical cover for household staff. In a nutshell, for R249 per month you can ensure that your housekeeper and/or gardener (or other household employee) have access to private nurses, GPs, dentists, optometrists, medicine, HIV treatment and medicine, and other benefits as needed. For a little bit extra, they can also get R1 million cover in private hospital in case of trauma, such as a car accident.
- Nurse visits: Access to unlimited network nurse visits
- GP Visits: Access to unlimited network GP visits if referred by a nurse. Up to two un-referred visits to a network GP per year.
- Medical Procedures: Access to a defined list of medical procedures performed in a network GPs room
- Basic dentistry:Dentist visits, fillings and extractions, at a network dentist
- Basic optometry: One eye test and a pair of glasses/contact lenses every 2 years, from network optometrist.
- Flu vaccine: Annual flu vaccine at a network pharmacy
- HIV Management: Access to HIV treatment, counselling and education. This includes antiviral medications, multivitamins and supportive medicines, blood tests and x-rays, as well as post-exposure prophylactics medication.
- Wellness Screening: Holistic tests including blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol and BMI.
Optional trauma benefit
This gives your household staff access to private hospital healthcare services for a defined range of traumatic events at any private hospital.
The cover can be for R300,000 or for R1,000,000.
The events covered are:
- Injuries resulting from a crime, sexual assault, a fall, a car accident, or an injury at work
- Head injuries, chest injuries, or severe fractures as a result of a fall
- Loss of an arm, hand, leg or foot
- Near drowning
- Poisoning or a severe allergic reaction that can cause death
- Ambulance services: Access to Netcare 911 ambulances
- Funeral Cover: Up to R5,000 funeral cover
Can employees add their spouses and children?
Yes, for an additional cost.
Does the employer have to be a Discovery medical aid member?
How much is it?
|Base premium||R300k trauma||R1m trauma|
There is a 3 month general waiting period from the start of the policy date
The small print:
- This is not a medical aid product, and does not fall under the Medical Schemes Act. That means that PMBs and other regulations do not apply to this cover. If you want a Discovery medical aid, please see here.
- Cover is only available to private household employees, including cleaners, gardeners, drivers, childcare workers, people who look after aged/sick/frail, and domestic workers employed an employment service. Farm workers are not eligible.
- Employees need to be legally employed, a South African resident or have a valid work permit.
- Employees cannot be members of a medical aid and this Primary Care product.
How do I sign up my employee?
This benefit kicks in on January 1, 2020.
You can sign up your employee by contacting us. The sign up process is seamless and quick.
Email us, or leave a comment below!
[text-blocks id=”812453″ slug=”discovery-are-you-a-member”]